Monday, February 13, 2012

Enjoy the Journey!

Still sick...ugg!

I managed to do some light cardio yesterday, my body is craving some training!  My day is not complete without a sweat.  This leads me to today's post.....exercise/training so many look at it as a means to an end.  Viewing a workout or training session with some of the following thoughts...:"this is going to help my lose weight", "I'm getting healthier", "I can eat more tonight!"  True these can be great motivating factors, but why not enjoy the workout for what it is?  A moment to focus on YOU and to have some fun!

I don't see many people show up at the gym with a smile on their face.  I usually do, but then again I may not be completely sane....I do race Ironman :)  Look at most people at the gym, they look like they are marching into a colonoscopy!  Granted we all have days where we would rather sit on the couch, but maybe it is about changing your mind-set to "wow, I'm an able-bodied person, look at the cool shit I can do!"  In my triathlon training log, I have the following quote "Some day my body will not be able to do this. TODAY IS NOT THAT DAY!"

We are so focused on suffering or pushing through a workout just to get to the end, do we take the time to appreciate and ENJOY it?  Greg Anderson says it best "Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” So today, if you are blessed with the health and ability to hit the gym, or go to yoga or just walk around the block......have fun and enjoy yourself!



No comments:

Post a Comment